This standard is a favorite in our household. The recipe can be multiplied many times to feed many people.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 pound ground beef, defrosted
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
2 cups chicken stock, or 2 chicken or vegetarian bullion cubes
1 28-ounce can of whole or crushed tomatoes with their liquid
1/2 cup barley or brown rice
1 teaspoon salt
2 to 3 cups coarsely chopped cabbage, kale or chard
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, add the onions and cook stirring occasionally until they turn translucent.
- Add the ground beef, stirring to break it into smaller chunks.
- When the beef has browned, add the carrots, celery and green pepper (if using), and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add the chicken stock to the pot (or dissolve the bullion cubes in 2 cups warm water) with the tomatoes, barley or rice and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the barley or rice is nearly cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, kale or chard and continue simmering until everything is tender.
- Adjust seasoning adding salt and pepper to taste before serving.